I Forget: Ways to Improve Your Memory



Yesterday I went to the store to buy three things. I had some odds and ends to buy and I'd been adding them to a list as I thought of them, so I wouldn't forget. One of the items was dishwasher detergent. I found my what I needed, paid and left the store. I got home, and was standing in my driveway pulling everything out of the car when I realized. I bought laundry detergent instead.

A mental glitch? Or a *sigh* blond moment? Maybe. But like most people, I'm becoming more and more convinced that I'm actually losing my memory.

Maybe it's the result of my misspent youth. That would seem fitting. I do know that unless I have things written down, I will forget them. In the time-honored tradition of my mom, I also have to leave things out so I will see them, in order to remember what I am supposed to do. As you can imagine, this quickly becomes chaotic.

The quest to improve our memory has become a national obsession. Ways you can improve your memory include:


  • Play games to improve your memory. Wonder of wonders, gamers have great memory skills- so the old adage about not letting the kids play too much Nintendo has almost gone out the window. Recently I started playing a game on my cell phone. I don't know if the game helps my memory, but it's relaxing, and decompressing is supposed to be key to improving your memory, too.

  • Challenge your senses for a unique memory technique. Close your eyes and try to find something without peeking. I tried to do this the other night and was only moderately successful. I wouldn't recommend cooking with your eyes closed, though.

  • Eating a proper diet is essential to improving your memory. Eating breakfast is high on the list. I struggle to eat breakfast every day because, no surprise- I always forget.

  • Improve your memory with a good night's sleep. I am not a good sleeper. I am a sleep-for-three-hours then wake up-and-pace-around kind of sleeper. Oddly, though, I have some of my best ideas when I'm dreaming, and I'm pretty good about filling up my dream journals.

  • Exercise your way to a better memory. It seems clear from memory studies, physical fitness helps improve your memory. A local vintage dealer came over and bought a bunch of stuff and this more or less enabled me to engage in one of my favorite things, moving furniture. I move the furniture around every couple of months or so. But this involved more moving around than usual, and I actually slept really well last night (for me).

Today, I did the Brain Power vs. Brain Age at MyBrainTrainer and found- are you ready? That my "brain age" is 56! I'm going to add how to improve your memory books to my list to pick up at the library this week. Hopefully I will actually come home with something related to memory.

Items currently gracing the fireplace mantel in my living room:


  1. A sampling of my antique art pottery collection;

  2. Two paintings by a local artist;

  3. A pair of high-heeled sandals. So I can remember to wear them to an event this evening.

Comments

Popular Posts