What Was the First Concert You Ever Attended?

Just a totally random question to see if there are any good concert stories out there.

My first concert was Quiet Riot and Joan Jett at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Oregon. No, I'm not kidding.

I wasn't allowed to go. My friend Nikki and I had taken my dad's truck unsuccessfully out for a ride (I was 13) and smashed it into a massive tree at the bottom of the carport. So I was In Trouble, more or less, or in any case, was not supposed to go to the show. Plus there was some debate on whether I was old enough to go to a concert, anyway.

The day of the show no one was even home so I just went. It was an all day concert outdoors on a beautiful summer day (the infamous Oregon "Jam"). I was still home hours before anyone else. The next concert I went to was The Fixx, which was also good and my first indoor concert.

I have been to I-don't-know-how-many concerts since then, saw the Dead a bunch of times, Neil Young too, and have also managed to fit in completely random bands like Todd Schneider and Metallica. And I try to get to the Pops or the symphony at least once every season. Eclectic doesn't begin to cover it.

I think the last show I went to was John Mellencamp at Riverbend. I went on a party bus with a bunch of crazy west siders who rolled down the lawn when John Fogarty sang Proud Mary ("Rolling, rolling, rolling on the river"). We were behind a bunch of bikers who started clogging during John Mellencamp, clogging like they meant it, dancing like they'd been professionally trained. They were just unreasonably good dancers.

A friend and I were talking the other day about how we never go to concerts anymore. I don't why; I always have a great time when I go to a show. She says she prefers going to a small bar and hearing a guy or two sing acoustic, because of the intimacy with the music.

For me, I think it's just a distinct lack of interest in the bands touring today. I do want to see The Police but when I checked on tickets for Cleveland, it's $50 for "back of stage or side of stage" and I think they were sold out of the $90 tickets. So now I am trying to decide just how badly I want to see them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This is a fun question -- we often ask this when we meet new people.

Mine was Rush, with Jon Butcher Axis opening, at Riverfront Coliseum (yes, that's what it was called then!) in 1982. I was a teenage drummer and was absolutely in heaven.

I saw The Fixx, too -- they opened for The Police on the Synchronicity tour (Rupp Arena, 1984).
Lisa said…
Rush! That's a good one.

I was in Milwaukee a couple of years ago visiting friends and saw a guy wearing a yngwie malmsteen t-shirt. I almost wrecked the car I was driving and still regret that he wouldn't sell it to me... Hmm, I think I need to blog about my favorite old concert tee next.
Anonymous said…
My first concert was the Beach Boys at the Charleston Civic Center way back in 1966. Pretty clean, no drugs. Just a few years later they started festival seating and we all stood up all night. In between bands we threw frisbee and passed joints. I must've seen a band most every weekend because I can't even count them all... Being a teenager in the late 60's to early 70's was a dream for music.
Lisa said…
I'm so envious... As part of Generation Blechhh we got stuck with bands like Motley Crue and Kenny G.

The Beach Boys story reminds me of going to Dead shows... Just a relaxed, happy atmosphere.

:)
Lisa said…
I'm so envious... As part of Generation Blechhh we got stuck with bands like Motley Crue and Kenny G.

The Beach Boys story reminds me of going to Dead shows... Just a relaxed, happy atmosphere.

:)
This is a fun question -- we often ask this when we meet new people.

Mine was Rush, with Jon Butcher Axis opening, at Riverfront Coliseum (yes, that's what it was called then!) in 1982. I was a teenage drummer and was absolutely in heaven.

I saw The Fixx, too -- they opened for The Police on the Synchronicity tour (Rupp Arena, 1984).

Popular Posts