Places I’d Like to Go: Ideas for Road Trips

Of course. Coming off of a long road trip, I'm already thinking about the next one. I like road trips. In fact, I always do all of the driving. It's one of the best ways I know to connect with friends and family or just to take some time to reflect upon things and I highly recommend it.

There are a million places I want to see. I get funny ideas in my head about places I want to go. I'd like to go to Japan and Bhutan and India, sure, but there are a lot of things I'd like to do that are closer to home. Some road trips I want to take in the near future:

Salem, Massachusetts on Halloween. My brother did this one year and it sounds amazing. Winding your way through the town's stocks and gallows and then doing the "witches tour," where you see crazy things like a door gouged with nail scratches. From the "witch" that was trapped beneath. Psychics and Tarot card readers and the rest of those folk also arrive en masse.

Savannah, Georgia. I was less than an hour away from here last week and on many other occasions, but we never seem to make it off the island to go. Primarily because we don't want to stop drinking long enough to go sightseeing. My friends went to Savannah on their honeymoon and did the Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil tour, that actually starts, appropriately enough, at midnight. It goes through the Mercer house from the book and into the old Bonaventure cemetery, too.

Darwin, Minnesota to see the world's largest ball of twine. Silly, but I got this in my head a while ago and now I want to go. Just to say I did.

Door County, Wisconsin to see the restaurant with the goats grazing on the roof. Again, pretty dumb… But at least here I could eat some good cheese. And I don't need much of an excuse to go to Wisconsin, anyway. I will probably move there someday.

Camping in the mountains in North Carolina. There's an exit sign in the middle of nowhere way up high that advertises camping. I'd like to see what it looks like.

Pheasant hunting in South Dakota. My friend's dad does this every year. I don't want to kill any pheasants. I just want to see the route and maybe see a couple of the birds. If the timing was right I would hit Sturgis too. I have been to the area many times but never during the biker rally.

Sedona, Arizona, or Taos, New Mexico. Either one would be good. Hiking without the work. The views are so close to the beginning of the trails that they even appeal to this lazy hiker.

One of my other brothers is working on visiting all of the ballparks. I like that idea, too. They flew from California to Boston and back on the same day on one of their trips. I don't know if I could pull that off. But I do love baseball!


So where do you want to go?

Let me know and I might add your ideas to my list, too. Doesn't matter if you've been there or not… Just let me know why the road trips appeal to you.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lisa,

I like the redesign.

This is going to sound crazy, but you might want to reconsider hunting pheasant. I certainly understand being squeamish, but there are a couple of very good reasons to do this.

First, anyone who loves good food should experience hunting or catching it. There's a very special connection that we have with our food that most folks are unaware of. It's a hard-wired sort of thing, probably based upon 6 million years of human behavior. I can't describe the feelings but they are powerful, moving, and largely good.

Secondly, pheasant hunting is a disappearing craft. Working with the dogs is special. Walking the fields with well trained working animals in search of food is like being in another time. It's a lot of fun, and it's exhilarating.

Thirdly, pheasant is good eats, as Alton would say. Better when it's your own handiwork.

Fourthly, it's an empowering skill to be a good wing shot. Not many women can say that, but those who can are respected. More than respected. I think you could get a proposal merely on that merit from at least one of my better looking, gainfully employed, reasonably intelligent friends.

I'm just sayin', I'd try it. It's not a bloodthirsty knuckle-draggin' orgy.
Lisa said…
Thanks, Mark. I am still working on the blog's look and feel. It will keep changing a bit over the next little while.

I grew up in a family of hunter-gatherers. So I have a love/hate relationship with hunting. On the one hand, I eat meat, wear leather, etc., so who am I trying to fool? On the other hand, I know too much about dressing animals, ick.

I do love pheasant... And they come back every year with dozens of them.

I also have a love/hate relationship with guns. I am still debating about learning how to shoot. I never thought of it as a way to meet eligible bachelors, though!

Hmmm.
Anonymous said…
There are guys who'd give their eye teeth (whatever that means) to find a hot chick who hunts and/or fishes. Just shooting still has major cool factors.

My woman ties flies for me and guys are SOOOO jealous of me. ;)

M
Anonymous said…
Your missing all the good local places.
Rabbit Hash on a Sunday afternoon is number one, you can combine it with hiking Boone Cliffs.
Brown County Indiana in the fall, can get a little crowded with turistas so stick with the back roads and watch out for the gawkers.
Hocking Hills anytime.
Paris, Paris Kentucky that is, horse country, especially in the spring, awesome way to relieve stess after dropping your income tax check in the mail at the last minute.
Revist you internal hippieness at Yellow Springs, Antioch, Glen Haven, Clifton Gorge, Youngs dairy.
I could go on and on but I think I have to go gas up the car.
Lisa said…
mark, I know how to fish... Am still debating armed weapons.

I will remember to buy a gun club t-shirt to wear out... that should be a good conversation starter!

:) lisa
Lisa said…
anon,

I have always wanted to spend some time in hocking hills, rabbit hash, brown county and yellow springs. I have never been to any of these areas.

the other places I will have to research, but they all sound good.

thanks for the tips!

:) Lisa
Anonymous said…
Well durn Lisa, this weekend is yer chance to git out and git down. It's Olde Timers Day in Rabbit Hash. It gets a little crowded with all them turistas n hogriders but its a durn good time!

http://www.rabbithash.com
Lisa said…
hmm, I missed the festival. still... I want to get down there and shop sometime. I hear there's a lot of good places to find antiques in rabbit hash.
Lisa said…
anon,

I have always wanted to spend some time in hocking hills, rabbit hash, brown county and yellow springs. I have never been to any of these areas.

the other places I will have to research, but they all sound good.

thanks for the tips!

:) Lisa
Lisa said…
mark, I know how to fish... Am still debating armed weapons.

I will remember to buy a gun club t-shirt to wear out... that should be a good conversation starter!

:) lisa
Anonymous said…
Your missing all the good local places.
Rabbit Hash on a Sunday afternoon is number one, you can combine it with hiking Boone Cliffs.
Brown County Indiana in the fall, can get a little crowded with turistas so stick with the back roads and watch out for the gawkers.
Hocking Hills anytime.
Paris, Paris Kentucky that is, horse country, especially in the spring, awesome way to relieve stess after dropping your income tax check in the mail at the last minute.
Revist you internal hippieness at Yellow Springs, Antioch, Glen Haven, Clifton Gorge, Youngs dairy.
I could go on and on but I think I have to go gas up the car.
Mark said…
There are guys who'd give their eye teeth (whatever that means) to find a hot chick who hunts and/or fishes. Just shooting still has major cool factors.

My woman ties flies for me and guys are SOOOO jealous of me. ;)

M

Popular Posts